Sunday, December 13, 2009

Days 97 and 98

It is with a heavy heart that I write this entry. I’m actually writing it during day 98, currently 11,000 metres above sea level, somewhere off the tip of Greenland or something similar. I’m on the flight home.

Europe for me has been just as good this time around as it was in 2002. Just different.

Strasbourg, for example, wasn’t the same – partly due to the fact that I wasn’t a student this time. Didn’t make it any worse, though.

The experiences I that I have had during the seven weeks, as you know in reading, have been mind-blowing. It has been wonderful travelling around. I haven’t done the final calculation in regards to number of miles travelled, but I did figure out that I have spent an average of every other day on some kind of train ride – whether 10 minutes or 10 hours.

Surfing in Spain in December? Hiking up a cathedral in Northern Germany? Nearly losing my lunch due to an irate chef? Running into a wall? Eating a deep fried Mars bar? Leading a cub scout sing a long? Meeting a rally car driver? Spending time with absolute strangers that started out as a whim on an email but becoming great mates? Just some of the highlights that I’ve had in the last 49 days.

Thanks Europe, I hold you dear in my heart and hope to return soon. Although Europe is done, as someone pointed out, “hey, you’ve still got 9 months!” which is true! Let the planning for the next adventure commence!

________________________________________________

I would like to tie up loose ends in Europe, however. My last full day, day 97, started as it has many times before, with a taxi ride. I had saved my last day on the train for this my last train trip; I figured I might as well go out in style. The “primero clase” on the Renfe trains – Spain’s national railroad – was quite spacious, can’t really complain, spent most of the communication with the attendants speaking in Spanish and to boot – free breakfast! I hadn’t had eggs for brekky probably since England and enjoyed them with a side of croissant and jam.



We pulled into Madrid around 2 pm and then the fun began again, as we were parked a good half mile along the track from the station – there was time for walking on the platform. I hopped a metro to get to Barajas, my hotel, and then the lady said I was crazy for taking a taxi for 1.5 kms but at this point it was worth the 3 Euros.


After slugging the luggage up to my room (which was nice, again, natch) I headed out to get some food and a couple of last souvenirs. I ended up at a Christmas market, which didn’t really have any food, so I popped into a place across the road that had tapas (small appetizers). I asked the server to recommend me some, and ended up with some salmon and cheese sandwiches which were incredibly tasty. No complaints! For dessert I found a churros stand – basically they are like sugary pretzels.

If I had had some more energy I would have gone out on the town but I was pretty much done. Turned on Spanish language Password and then followed up with Pasapalabra. Poor Maite – last night’s contestant did even better – she was down to seven seconds with one to go for the 336 000 Euro jackpot, and didn’t know the answer! I do hope she wins it, she’s obviously good at it.


I couldn’t fall asleep for awhile… and once I did I woke up on Day 98 really early (ie. 5 am local time) because, oh, I don’t know, SOME PEOPLE DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW TO BE QUIET AT A HORRIBLY EARLY HOUR WHEN THEY ARE PRESUMABLY LEAVING FOR A FLIGHT. I had to get up an hour later anyway, but still.


When I did roll out of bed, I packed my last little things, had some mini pain au chocolats and then walked the three minutes to the bus stop to catch my ride (only one euro!) to Madrid Barajas airport. Check in was fine, security no problem (first time they didn’t open the case for my underwater camera) and then I took it easy before visiting duty free to do some browsing. It took my entire willpower to not buy stacks of Milka bars.


The flight from Madrid was uneventful, which was okay. However by the time we landed I only had 45 minutes to make my connection. And! It turned out that I had to clear passport control, which, although only a formality, seemed awfully long…


The flight back to Toronto felt like an all you can eat buffet. Snack of smoked almonds with a drink. Lunch of Asian style chicken and rice with a drink. Snack of Belgian Chocolate ice cream (I went back for seconds). Snack of tomato mozzarella basil quiche. I didn’t need to do anything else because I was eating the whole time.


Got back into Toronto 45 minutes early, bonus, cleared customs really quickly, got my bags almost instantaneously and walked out to find Dad. He had been nice enough to come down from the North to pick me up at the airport and it was great getting to catch up. Him and mom also got me a “starter grocery kit” of a few of my favourite foods, although we did stop at Pizza Pizza to grab a slice for later.


When I arrived home I was greeted by H and H with open arms. It was great to see them and they agreed likewise. We had dinner together, and although I was trying to stay up really late, I made it until about 9.30 pm and then I wenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


Cheers,
Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment