Friday, November 6, 2009

Days Soixante-deux and Soixante-trois

Well I took it a little easier on this here day. I got up, had breakfast - scaling back on the "full English breakfast" a bit... it's REALLY plentiful, and for the most part I'm a cereal and toast kind of guy - packed, then headed out. It was raining a bit and I really didn't feel like walking with all of my stuff - which is a lot - so I jumped a cab to the train station in Weymouth.
My route this day was first off to London Waterloo. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the train I was on was meant for longer hauls but had a lack of luggage space. As in none for big backs. That was the first knock against the British Railway system versus at least 12 plusses, so really, no harm done.

Transferred throught the tube to London Euston and met up with my friend Nick. He and I have been in correspondance for over 10 years and he being a game show guy like myself I figured he could be my guest in the hotel. We got in around 4 pm after discussing everything game show esque possible, and then hopped a taxi to the Jury's Inn in Manchester. Very impressive. Flat screen tv, spacious rooms... all comped by the production staff at Countdown. There will be more good things about them!

After watching that day's Deal or No Deal we went out to get dinner. We wandered around for awhile, and settled on a pub. However I am not a student anymore and I figured that because I'm north of 30 I don't have to listen to pulsating music when I'm eating... so we ended up back at the hotel to sit down for a quiet meal and a lager.

We went back to the room, played a round of Countdown - where I got the conundrum, shocker - and then I'm pretty sure I fell asleep in front of the telly.

So finally, Day Soixante-Trois was upon me. I was lying in bed at some horrible hour thinking this is actually happening, I'm going to be on Countdown - a bloody British institution. Turns out, as I found out later, it's their 27th birthday on this day.

Nick and I walked over to Primark to pick up a last few things (including a Krispy Kreme donut... I caved) and then over to the train station to meet up with Steph (see day LX). Unfortunately she got stuck in a train debacle so promised to meet us later on at the taping.

11.45 came and I figured that'd we better go. We arrived at ITV Granada around 12 pm and were ushered into the green room where another contestant, Elliot, had arrived. We chatted with him and his Dad quite extenstively, while others arrived.

Adele, our handler for the day, as well as Sarah, the associate producer who had answered every single inane question possible that I had asked were present. They ran through a few last minute instructions, plus a schedule of who was playing when.

As I had been told before, I was first up against the returning champion. Before we got to go on set, however, it was off to hair and make up. The stylists were very curious to hear that a Canadian was in their midst! Just as I was heading out I got to have a nice chat with Suzie Dent, who is the mainstay in Dictionary Corner. Turns out she used to teach German!

We got on set around 1pm and then there was an agonizingly long wait until taping started (probably only about 10 minutes, but still) and then you really hit the ground running. Before the show started Jeff Stelling, the host, introduced himself and asked if he could get me to something specific that I'd mentioned on my interview form. Sure, no problem.

Then the music started.

I'm on (expletive deleted) Countdown! I think.

I'd tell you more, but that wouldn't be fun, would it?

After the third show of the taping block of five, around 6 pm, it was time for "lunch". That's industry standard for "long break, go eat something" I find myself ordering fish and chips and talking to Rachel Riley, the other presenter, in the cafeteria line. Whereas in North America the separation can't be more clear, in the UK it's much more relaxed. I think part of that has to do with the fact that you really can't plan any "answers" persay for Countdown - it's just the picks of the letters and the numbers. In any case it was kind of surreal... much like the whole day. Steph and Nick left at this point - Adele called for a cab and covered the cost!
The taping day wrapped up around 9 pm. It didn't seem that long but I was having way too much fun so it didn't really matter. After the taping the staff was only too happy to let us take pictures. Here are some that I grabbed!
First, a picture of the majority of that day's contestants:
L-R is Joanne, Kirk (former series champ visiting for the day), Ryan T, me, Charlie and Elliot (Anne and a second contestant whose name escapes me weren't around for this picture).

A shot, actually taken after show #2, of the famous clock. When you sit in the seat, you can hear the music go, and when you're busy declaring your answers to Jeff, you hear some kind of "VWOOP-VWOOP" which I'm pretty sure means they're resetting the clock. If anyone knows better, do tell!

Another shot, this time from the audience. The chairs' occupants, L-R: Susie Dent, celeb guest, champ, challenger, Jeff.

Me with Rachel. She is so wonderful, very down to earth. For those of who haven't seen the show - if you live outside of the UK you kind of have an excuse - she posts the letters on the board, posts the numbers, and then does the numbers solutions. She is new to the show this year but doing a great job!!!

Finally one with Jeff, the host. Jeff was very kind throughout the day as well, and was kind enough to engage in some fun banter with me during the time that I was in the chair. His jokes are really my style... an example, when he was talking about a word he found:

"I've got a six. Grease is the word." (cue crowd groaning, but I have a good laugh).

I got back to the hotel about 9.30 pm exhausted, but not pooped enough to go have a drink with Anne and her son, as well as Joanne and her good friend. It was great to switch stories about Countdown and life in general. I went back up to my room at about 11.00 pm, truly, truly satisfied.

I will first appear on Monday, November 16th. This airs at 3.25 pm on Channel 4. For those of you reading outside the UK, I would imagine it'll pop up within the week on youtube, so you'll all get to see it! And once I've stopped appearing, I'll add in more anecdotes related to the actual gameplay.

Cheers,

Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment