Thursday, November 5, 2009

Days XL and XLI

When I first organized my trip, I figured I’d only be one night in Weymouth. That changed… and as a result, I changed guesthouses. Which is a shame, because mine was right on the beach. Never mind though… I didn’t want to be on the beach – I wanted to be in the water beside it. Which is what I was going to do on Day LX.

I met back up with Steph along with her aunt and uncle at the Old Harbour Diving Centre in Weymouth around 10.30 am. After figuring out how we were going to get our gear from the Centre to the boat location 1 mile away (someone should have mentioned this before!) Steph and I decided to walk it (with our wet suit boots on nonetheless!) while her aunt and uncle drove the gear over. Not a problem, I figured.

However when we get there the door to access the boat ramps is locked. BONUS! Eventually we get onto the boat, having taken over a good chunk of the sidewalk to repack our gear. It turns out that the boat is very spacious. There are only five or six divers on board so we have plenty of space to spread out.



The ride out is treacherous. We are swaying side to side. Everything is soaked. I am happy at this point that I have indeed taken my seasickness pills (I have the weakest stomach for a diver EVER) but secretly I’m still enjoying it. As a result we have to go to an alternate wreck site that is more sheltered. We arrive at the Spaniard at about 12.30 pm.


I was curious to see (a) how cold the water was and (b) how clear the water was. After the first dive my computer read 58F so I really wasn’t going to complain. We had a good first dive. Mostly only the bow was left on the first wreck, but there was a bit of a current so that made things exciting. We were also told that just off the wreck was another bit (ie. 5-10 minutes swim) but no luck, sadly.



We’re just about to get onto the boat when we are reminded that this particular sea going vessel has a lift. Excellent. Why do work when someone can do it for you. EXACTLY. I take the opportunity to hum the them from the cult Canadian game show Pitfall on the way up. Back on board I was very thankful to Mary our captain for making hot chocolate and sausage rolls. I find that you could probably (although not exclusively) feed me any food, including that of which I detest (ie. Cooked cabbage) after a dive and I’ll eat it. I didn’t need anything salty – swallowed enough at the surface.

We moved sites for the second dive and were informed that this dive had a latrine on it (read: toilet). Those of you who know me in a diving context know that there’s something about a porcelain palace that makes me happy. So much contentment was had amongst Steph and I when we found it at the same time! A great second dive… and my next dive, which has yet to happen, will be my 50th this year (finally).




The boat got back to shore around 4.30 pm and Steph and I headed back to the dive shop if at all a bit… well… wet. It’s a long story which doesn’t need to be told here but I’m sure you’ll get proof at some point. We get back to home base and thankfully can rinse our gear out (non divers: if you get you gear salty and don’t rinse it will crystallize and that is BAD).

I say goodbye to Steph and her relatives and look forward to seeing her on the following Monday. I then grab a taxi to my new accomodations... I am sufficiently knackered - that's for you, Nicole! - and it's barely 6 pm.

The new accomodations are nice and are only a short walk back to town. I drop my things, go for a walk, grab a sandwich and am pretty much out like a light by 10 pm, after watching the BBC One comedy double header of Have I Got News For You and Armstrong and Miller.

Day LXI starts with a bang.

Literally.

At 5 am I needed to use the facilities. I didn't have an ensuite, but I did have my own private bathroom (just as good, I figure). However what I should explain is that I was on the top floor, and it used to be the servant's quarters, and people in the late 1800's weren't as tall as me. As a result,

Thwack! (feel free to substitute other 60's era Batman words as per your wishes)

and I was awake.

I stumbled downstairs for breakfast around 8.30 am. I get chatting with a nice family who is in town for a military celebration march the next day. My host gives me a map and by about 10 am I am on my way downtown and I pain the the town red. I did some shopping to pick up a few things, and then just spent a couple of hours walking on the beach. I am always happiest around the water and the beach and it was just so peaceful.


It was so bizarre, however, when I found the following in the sand:


Funny how things work out, eh?


I took some rest on the massive boulders near the end of the beach and just took it all in. I decided then to go and have some pizza at an italian place that had been recommended for me, and for 7 pounds I got a GINORMOUS pizza and some salad. And this was the real stuff. Four cheeses later, I am pretty much done. I go back to the guest house, and crash for quite a while. A day of diving compounded with a day of walking and it's time to relax.


Unfortunately I was still kind of zonked later so I didn't decide to go out for the halloween ghost walk that is on offer, because I thought it was three hours long (and it turns out it's 10 minutes, go figure). I think this is the first halloween in FOREVER that I haven't dressed up for.

Next we'll be switching out of roman numerals as I head north!

Cheers,
Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment