Saturday, January 23, 2010

Days 139 to Day Number Gross

That's day number 144 at the end, just to clarify.

GOOD NEWS TO FOLLOW NEAR THE END!

Day 139 on Monday was flight mobilization. It was getting to the point where I was getting anxious... if I didn't get the flight booked soon, it wouldn't happen as it would be out of control. So I started doing some poking around and followed up with my travel agent. He told me that we could wrap it up soon... so that was good.

Day 140 on Tuesday and it was public transit mobilization up north to Barrie. After a quick chat on the way up with a former student of mine I headed over to my friend's place of employment to catch up for a bit.

Following supper I met up with a couple of people that I was doing a refresh with. They were very down to earth which was helpful as it's been a while since I was in the classroom proper!

Day 141 and I ran around doing some dive related stuff. That was pretty much theme for the day, had to do some organization with some gear, but enjoyed a nice relaxing afternoon highlighted with a visit to Quizno's for lunch.

That evening we headed down south to get in the pool. I was working with Brendan, whom I had worked with the night before. We had a good laugh with his brother's girlfriend (the connection to the club) underwater and I think he enjoyed when I showed him how to walk around the side of the pool like we were in The Matrix. None of us are sane in the dive club, I justify to you.

Day 142 brought two things. First was a walk to the bank and back - not mine, as it's close, but Hans and Helga's, as it's right near the main mall and a good trot and great exercise.


The slightly more exciting thing? my flight is booked!!! I wasn't able to get all of the stops I wanted in (Seoul and Palau cost tons to add to the itinerary) but basically it boils down to:

Los Angeles 4-6 Feb
New Zealand 8 Feb - 9 March
Australia 9 March - 2 April

I am now in the process of getting things worked out... visits in LA with friends and to see a little show called Wheel of Fortune (in fairness, I've never actually sat in the audience). New Zealand to visit a former student and his family, as well as canyoning, zorbing, river sledding, diving and visiting Maori culture. Australia to visit Who Wants to be a Millionaire, go surfing and dive the Great Barrier Reef.

SUPER EXCITED!!!!

Day 143 and it was another walk, this time to the library to pick up a book I've been jonesing to read for awhile. Helga and I then headed out to the Superstore in Aurora which always means excitement! I was thrilled that Irene was working at the self-checkout as she usually is when I've been there - Hello Irene if you're reading this - it was great to catch up for a minute or two amongst customers.
When we got home I threw a pizza in the oven and Hans and Helga came downstairs so we could watch Wer Wird Millionar. It was a hoot watching it for the first time, as someone had been kind enough to send it over and I shelled out to convert it (at $30, it was a good deal). Proof that I made it...


I haven't made it through the second episode yet but so far, that's the best shot! And, for the sake of completionism, here's a screen grab of me at Who Wants to be a Millionaire way back in September in New York City.


I figured that you knew that I wasn't the pregnant woman or host Meredith Vieira, but just in case...

Today, Day 144, saw distinct breaks in the day. In the morning I did a couple of hours planning for the upcoming trip. I was fascinated to find out that taking the bus in New Zealand is SUPER CHEAP. Seriously. Plus the fact that $1CDN=about $1.32NZD and it means that I'm going to be able to do quite a few things in New Zealand, adventure and travel wise.

In the afternoon it was off to the mall to pick up a CD and a converter. It's quite amazing to me that I can use all of my electrical needs (plugs for both cameras, computer) with one adapter when I go to Europe but sadly I have to buy a voltage converter to use my electric razor in the south Pacific. At $20 though, for the set, I don't mind that much.

And speaking of travelling, good news - carry ons are back on board! Which means I can bring a small backpack on board along with my camera. That's a load off of my mind.

Well, dear readers, if you don't mind, I'll now bid you adieu - supper is almost ready!

Cheers,

Vick.


No comments:

Post a Comment