Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 277 to 293: Sir Stacks-a-lot

Well June was upon me... and it turns out that my world tour is almost finished... 3/4 of the way through! Not that exciting things weren't still in store... such as Day 277's visit to the dentist!

Yes it is entirely possible that I get slight accidents such as a cavity. Sadly my dentist has cleared his wall of pictures recently and thus I have missed an opportunity to get back on the wall. Such as it. As I'm writing this after the fact that I had this done I imagine that I probably went and bought some sweets.

Day 278 brought a pattern that was going to rear its ugly head. It was the Wednesday Dive Cancellation (WDC). Which would have been nice, if only to get rid of Day 279's visits to the physician and the podiatrist... so much so that I had to take Days 280 and 281 away just to recover!

But Day 282 was a gorgeous drive up north to go for a dive, a nice little splash, which was nicely preceeded by a bbq! Huzzah for free food, can't really complain. Had to rush back for my first game of Ultimate for the season - as a member of the Hucky Ducks (seems we've got an animal theme going, folks) we notched our first win! Hurrah! And we went out for brewskis afterwards, to celebrate at one of my teammates' homes.

Day 283 and it was back up north for our "shore course". We put this on once a year in the dive club so as to inform those who are top side can ably help us when the rest of us are down below. Although most of the time I'm in the latter, it's still important that I help out with the former. We had a good turnout and hopefully will have some great support this year.

Day 284 and having stayed over the night it made sense to have a picture night - a retrospect of this crazy year I've had. It's the first time I've had a chance to look through my pictures all in one go, and the first time I've actually enjoyed sorting through images since Bort had crashed upon leaving Australia. It was superb just to chat about things that had gone on... speaking of which, I've finally posted my appearance on Des Chiffres et Des Lettres - you can find it at :


And of course I've put up subtitles for those who don't speak French so they can enjoy as well!
It actually took about 2 hours to do the slides so afterwards I headed home.

Day 285 was a Wednesday, so we cancelled the dive!!!! Not wanting to, obviously. That did give me a chance however to go to a rare (for me) Wednesday night ulty practice, which then turned into Settlers at my house.

Now, if you don't know, Settlers is probably one of the best board games to come out in the last twenty years. It is German and it is brilliant. You can either play with three or four players, and it takes roughly about 2 hours to play but is wonderful in every way shape and form. Vic (the woman) and Cat and I battled it out, with the new Newmarket Ultimate Settlers League (NUSL) standings as such:
Vic (the woman) 1-0
Cat 0-1
Vick (yours truly) 0-1

Given that the previous date actually bled into Day 286, I took it easy that day. But there was excitement that had to be prepared for on Day 287.

Which started with a visit to Big Bone BBQ, just a stone's throw from my house. Now I had been told these guys have great wings, and while I'm sure that they do, I couldn't tell you about them, because I opted for the pulled pork sandwich. At the cost of $8.50 for a sandwich which used its bun as a carrying case for the meat from your plate to your mouth along with fries, beans and slaw, it was practically perfect.

Part two of this day was shooting the video for my application to be on Wipeout Canada. I had developed some ideas, which involved me getting thrown around somewhat, to say the least:

This was actually during "dress rehearsal". I only had three pies so we had one for the dress rehearsal, then two for the real thing!

As you can see, I'm in costume and wet. Guesses?

For the proof, go see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceySN1VHTAA and enjoy!

All in all it was a hoot. Half the fun of applying I'm finding is shooting the video, I've discovered! We all then went out for ice cream to celebrate.


How, pray tell, could I top that? Well, I was off very early on Day 288 to drive to Brampton and the Ontario Speed Stacking Championships! I had recruited my friend Victoria to come as well, and after a few nights of practice, we were ready! Let's let the pictures do the talking, shall we?




Victoria and I were immediately fascinated by the MASSIVE jumbo speed stacks and had they been cheaper we might have taken them home.


We had the opening ceremonies around 9.45 am and Vic and I dwarfed everyone as they were mostly 8 year olds. BUT! There were actually seven adults there! COMPETING! Wow.



Victoria and I then proceeded to the qualifying time trials for doubles. It's very curious only using one hand but we did well. One competitor from Illinois really enjoyed how we talked to each other! We have that kind of chemistry I guess!



That's me right after breaking the Canadian Record for the cycle... but only in the qualifiers! I was pretty psyched though as I hadn't even hit a twelve in competition before...


One of the only downfalls of the day was that we ended up having four bloomin' hours between qualifs and the finals, so Vic and I decided (once Kevin and Jess arrived) to make tshirts! And now, schnazzy views for y'all:








So how did it all turn out? Well, Victoria and I cleaned up quite well! Victoria picked up three medals and three Ontario records, while I picked up four medals and another Canadian record, and the two of us got a joint record for Doubles! SCORE.



We made some calls on the way home to celebrate but after dropping Victoria home I was spent and grabbed some zzzzzzzz.

Day 289 and it was frisbee time. And I've been very lucky as my skills have been improving - including this evening, where I made a behind the back catch!

Days 290, 291 and 292 went by with small highlights - great meals, good friends, and an awesome New Zealand-Slovakia footy match (how about that goal in injury time???). And another update in the NUSL standings:
Vic (the woman) 1-1
Vick (yours truly) 1-1
Cat 0-1
Jess 0-1
Kevin 0-1

Day 293 and I found a most interesting sight:


I pull into the Zellers parking lot, and there's my old car! Gotta be honest with you, with over 217000km on it I never thought I'd see it again. I thought about leaving it a note, but figured that might be a bit too creepy.

Cheers,

Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment