Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 294-299: New Directions

Day 294 and it was time for graduation at my school. I had been wondering if I should go, but I was happy that I did. I just sat in the back and enjoyed myself. My favourite part was for a student that I had never taught but whose father jumped up with joy when his daughter got an award unexpectedly; I was secretly cheering for her to get another one!

Afterwards I got to say goodbye to some of the students that I had taught. Here's just a few.

I had taught Alexandra accounting and Drama. She was always a curious student, a hard worker, and always loved a good joke.

While I didn't teach Miah, she was in a play that I directed, biding her time in the wings until her moment.


Jay was the winner against her sister in a contest to see who knew more about me. She is feverishly passionate, brilliant in accounting and probably would have creamed everyone on YTV's The Adrenaline Project had she not suffered a concussion around the time of the casting call.

Jaymie now goes down in history as the only person to conquer the Vick-trifecta. Simply put, take all three subjects with me (french/drama/accounting) and pass them. She won ice cream for that! And a very very hard worker.

Imaan was in my advisor group for three years and just the sweetest young lady. I only hope that in the future I will get to teach more students like her!


Bertha was one of my quiet accounting students but over time I changed that!


Alex, now that I think about it, I didn't teach, although he was one of my go-getters for Reach for the Top for three years. Shame he didn't play this past year, he would have done great!


Ryan is one of the few people in this world that truly tower over me. He is an extremely creative man and I look forward to walking into Chapters to buy his first novel.


Following a break after grad we had the staff roast bbq. I was roasted - here is PV as reach quizmaster as all the questions were about me! I was flattered.
And why did I get roasted, you might ask? Well after taking quite a long time, I've left my position at PC. It was not done easily, but after this wonderful year, I felt it was time for a change. I look forward to seeing what comes up!
Day 295 saw a trip up to Barrie to run another open water dive. As we haven't had much luck with the Wednesday dives I was quite happy to squeeze one in. Niiiiiiiiiiice and peaceful.
Day 296 and I sat down to watch the New Zealand-Italy game. As soon as the result was proclaimed 1-1, I said to Hans, "Let's go!" and we were off. I rolled down the window, he stuck his head out, gripping my kiwi flag and honking all the way. Why not enjoy it, right?
It was also time for ultimate again. I once again surprised myself with a what I thought was an impossible catch - a hammer, coming from the sun! I did giggle a bit when I saw what I had done.
Later that evening I hopped down to see Kari, who was visiting from NB for a conferece. We had a great dinner at Les 3 Brasseurs.

Day 297 was a bit difficult - it was time to start packing up at PC. Pina helped me box up my stuff that I had left in the portable. Apparently I had left a lot of little things!!!
At around 4.30 pm Pina is suddenly anxious - we had planned to do an early dinner but she had to get back to North York for 6 pm for babysitting pick up. We finally pull in to the parking lot, round the corner, and I recognize several faces.
Then I realize what's going on! It's a surprise party! WOW! I was truly speechless, and it was very nice to have so many of my friends come out and share the experience with me. Here are some of the faces - I haven't put names because they really aren't necessary.










And the last one is with my parents, who cooked this all up about 6 weeks ago and drove four hours just for the occasion! They also bought me dinner :)
Day 298 and it was much more calmer, highlighted by some scuba diving drift theory.
Day 299 and 1.42 pm was when I felt the earth move, under my butt. I'm sitting on the couch and everything starts to shake.
I had experienced my first earthquake. How strange!!!
As a result of the weather, we sadly had to cancel the dive, although I enjoyed another great night of settlers! Which brings our standings in the NUSL to:
Vic the boy (me) 2-1
Vic the girl 1-2
Theresa 0-1
Catherine 0-2
Kevin 0-2
Jessica 0-2
Next time, day 300!

No comments:

Post a Comment