Saturday, October 31, 2009

Days LVIII and LIX

I headed out on day LVIII with Ed, Pauline and Nerys to Tesco Extra around 1 pm. There was much juggling to get all the luggage and baby accessories in... but when I got there I was rewarded by pushing Alice in the pram!



Shopping at Tesco Extra is a bit like shopping at Superstore back home. There's everything you really need. I actually needed to pick up a golf shirt for Countdown (you have to bring x number of outfits, in case some don't work) and I ended up buying a suit. Yes, a suit. When a suit, even one that needs a bit of tailoring costs you 24pound50 and is actually of good quality, you buy it and you get it mailed home. I would have bought more but I really don't want to blow the wad... quite yet!

I got to Bristol, my next stop, around 6 pm. Could have easily taken a bus but really... I was tired and didn't feel like it, so I paid three times more for a cab which pretty much got stuck in traffic. The hotel I stayed in was quite nice... if a bit cramped. But it would pay the dividends the next day, trust me. And what does supper equate at this time? Yay! A visit to sandwich world at Sainsbury's. What fun. Really though, I'm a sandwich kinda guy. I was actually wanting to watch Britain's Best Brain on Five but it figured the hotel couldn't get it.

So let's cut to the chase. I'm sure Bristol is a nice city. And sometime I'll go back. However, I was in Bristol for one reason and one reason only: it's where they record the British version of Deal or No Deal on Day LIX.

I was the first to make it into the reception area at 8.30am ish for a 9am "arrival". "Arrival" is a bit of a misnomer in the tv taping world. It could mean get there at that time. Probably it doesn't though. Back in the days when Barker hosted Price, if you arrived at 9 am, at it suggested, you would never get in.

There was a nice couple, James and Paula, from nearby Bath behind me. We got chatting, and when we got put into holding we continued our conversation. We even got to take our picture with Noel Edmonds, the host...


... in a manner of speaking. It's a display they've set up in the holding area. There were no cameras allowed in the studio - I certainly wasn't going to challenge that. They also had a Deal ticket game and fruit machine... plus other assorted props (Grandmama/Grandpapa artwork from Trick or Treat Week, the photo props from Seaside Specials back in June, etc).

We headed into the studio around 9.30 am. The audience members are called "pilgrims" and the studio is called the "dream factory". And it truly is that. The guy warming us up was great... at one point he asked who came from afar... I raised my hand and was introduced as "the guy from Canada who said one of his main reasons for coming to the UK was to see Deal". Which was true. I was also used as the example for how to clap and "whoop" a lot. I've been to many game show tapings - I know what to do and I do it well :)

After the first show we had perhaps 10 minutes to go back to holding, go to the loo, and then load back in the studio. I sat the first game in the audience section closest to the East Wing (if you've seen the show, you'll understand) and got "promoted" to the centre section for game two. The warmup guy chatted with me further and introduced me to Noel, the host, and I got to shake his hand and say a quick hello. I was further pointed out to the crowd when I said I was due to appear on Countdown... and the sound techs even through on a music clip from the show! It was quite fun as after the taping several people wished me good luck.

I was only scheduled to see the first two shows in the morning... but the opportunity to be in the audience for the third and final show of the day was too much to pass up. As I was leaving to go back to the hotel to grab my luggage to bring it back to the studio (as I had left it there for safekeeping) I was pulled aside by a production associate of the show... who gave me a Deal or No Deal cue card and an autographed picture of Noel! I didn't even ask. I was gobsmacked.

I literally ran back to the hotel to get my bags and ran back with them on (too, too heavy, must pack MUCH lighter) to the studio. As I was dripping of sweat, someone came up to me and asked me if I posted at a certain website... which I do... and it turned out it was someone who posted there as well. We had a nice chat and ended up sitting next to each other in the studio.

When game three wrapped up it was time for me to head out. As I was leaving, one of the contestants came up and shaked my hand - we'll call him K - and said he was very happy that I had been in the studio because he could tell that I was very energetic and that added to the game. Actually when it was pointed out that I was from Canada I got a huge round of applause from all 22 contestants on stage.

I have to say this. I have been lucky enough to attend, I would say, in the range of 40-50 television tapings in my short life thus far. While I realize that this is the most recent one, I would be hard, very hard pressed to not say that this was the single best experience I've ever had a tv studio. Everyone - the audience staffers, the security crew, the tech crew, the contestants in the East and West wings, Noel... and even the banker - made this a PHENOMENAL experience. I just wish I could go back sooner rather than later... but don't worry Endemol, I'll be back.

And you can watch the results of the shows on January 28th, 29th and 31st. I can't say how they went - I'm actually contractually obligated not to - but I look forward to seeing how they turn out on screen, because damn, they were awesome to watch in the studio.

The rest of the day was walk to the train station, take a two hour train to Weymouth, check into the hotel. 'Nuff said.

I'd write some about Day LIX... but it's late on Day LXI and I'm knackered. Coming this month... no more roman numerals!

Cheers,

Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment