Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 165

It’s interesting. The quote that I remember most (besides “Always blow on the pie”) so far is “You’re in Dunedin until Friday. Why?”.

I get that you’re a local and that maybe you don’t think you have a nice city, but you actually really have a nice place and you should be happy about that. I honestly think that there’s very few cities in the world that I would spend weeks on end in, but still, don’t knock yourself down too many pegs.

In any case. I got dropped off at the Octagon around 9 am for my first exploratory walk. Apparently they run around the shape once a year as part of the orientation festivities and that reminded me of a certain scene in Chariots of Fire – at least one person that reads this knows what that is.

Around 10 am Bozena picked me up again and we had a really nice tour around the upper part of the city… followed by me going out for another walk about around town. It is a gorgeous place, that’s for sure.

I was recommended a certain pizza place – Pappo’s Pizza. So I went in… and I found the perfect pizza for me.


I swear I can’t make this up.

Shortly thereafter I bonded once again with the bus (after using the self checkout somewhat successfully at New World) and arrived back casa Haug to perform a very interesting task. Laundry. Fact of life people.

We had a wonderful dinner with the Haug’s family friends Anne and Wendy – complete with Pinot Noir ice cream! – and then headed off to Sandfly Beach.

But not before we got to see ‘dem bones! Both Chris and Wendy are going into medical school and have to get a set of bones.


Now then. Take everything you’ve everything scenically. Then multiply it by about five. That’s pretty much Sandfly.


We were on the way down to the beach and saw that there were some sheep that weren’t jumping the fence back into their pen, but rather trying to squeeze through the very small hole in the fence!


Chris and I then took it onto ourselves to make sure they got herded back into the pen. Results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-WeaDmvD3w

The second obstacle is the sand dune jumping. Now there is a technique to sand dune jumping. You’re supposed to jump into a big pile of sand. Let’s see how I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaawHyk3AlU

After that wonderful experience, we walked the beach, and came across some sea lions!


They were very much just content to just lie there – you could get within 10 metres without them getting scared. There was also a pack of penguins that we were allowed to spot from afar. Truly an awesome experience, once again!

Off to Queenstown in the next post!

Cheers,

Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment