Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 178-181

Following the excitement that was the culturally fun day, I decided to take it down a notch.
I spent the morning at the spa.

Now yes it says “Polynesian Spa” and perhaps there were mud baths and masseuses (masseusa?) but I really didn’t care.

That was pretty much me for the majority of the morning. I started in a thermal pool that was at 38C – that was the coldest one that was at the joint. I worked my way up to a 41C pool but I didn’t spend that much time in that one! Did have a nice chat with a couple from England who were over here after having recently retired.
Retirement – now I could get used to that.
Following the spa I walked back to the “Streat” – a block of restaurants pedestrianized and with good taste to boot. I stuck to something simple – fish and chips – mostly because my brain was mush after the spa.
Actually that became the theme for the day. I really didn’t want to do much anything else, so it was a sandwich in for dinner and the only thing of general note after that (besides sitting through my first episode of Millionaire Hot Seat in preparation for the upcoming taping) was that I locked myself out of my room. With the assistance of my new Dutch friends we tried everything until we just had to give up and ring the manager. I was extremely embarrassed but was happy I did it as the thought of staying outside for the night really just didn’t appeal to me.

On Day 179 it was time for destination number 6 of 8 in New Zealand – Coromandel Town. The first two bus rides up to Thames were uneventful – especially the second one where the driver was just downright impolite.

However the third leg – Thames to Coromandel – was just superb. It turned out that we were the school bus run. There were some students that rode to school an hour each way to Thames and we were their ride home. Actually it was GORGEOUS – the scenery that is – so really it didn’t matter and the kids were pretty well behaved. I was getting hungry as I hadn’t had lunch yet (don’t ask – although it was nearing 5 pm) and taking to a chef from British Columbia would do that to you!

The greatest thing about InterCity – especially the smaller areas is that they’ll drop you off at your lodgings, directly. Classy.

So it was around 5.30 pm when I arrived at my home for the evening, and a couple more, the Tui Lodge. I had heard from a lady from Boston in Rotorua that she had stayed there and it did not disappoint, at least on first view! And what a wonderful chat I had with Bridget and Charlotte from Holland, who graciously gave me their extra phone card as they were leaving the next day – and I happily repaid the favour by given them some maple syrup and Timmie’s coffee.

Day 180 and I started exploring. For a $20 deposit for a lock and key I could take one of the lodge’s bikes – which was great as it was a good kilometre out of town (not unreachable by walking, by any means, but still). I wanted to enjoy a great view and some grassy knolls for lunch, and I discovered the Pa Lookout. I mean, really – how do you argue with THIS?

I also took the time to shoot an application video for something. Now, I’m not actually telling what you it is but if it works out… well, it would be pretty amazing.

Having sorted all of that out, and running down the lookout to the tune of some old Double Dare cues, I hiked back to the centre of town and discovered some internet availability and taught a Kiwi barmaid how curling works (seriously).

Again I retired to my accommodations and completing my afternoon nap it was time for dinner. I decided to go to a takeaway and I was not disappointed as I had some wonderful fish and chips.
It was at dinner that I met Linnaea and Ben, both travelling from the US. We had a wonderful discussion about everything and anything. That’s what I like about the backpackers – it’s nice and easy to meet people and just chill. It makes for a wonderful evening.

One of the suggestions that I had been given for Day 181 was to check out the Driving Creek Railway. After having navigating the 5K bike ride (with the rental bike acting a bit dodgy!) I got there in plenty of time to catch my ride.

It was quite enjoyable – we were all on a small train which made its way up the hill slowly but surely, complete with tunnels and switchbacks galore. It was part of a clay pottery workshop as well. We reached the top and climbed Eyefull Tower – HA!


All in all a good time. I ended up chatting quite awhile with a gaggle of Kiwis who were home for a wedding from the UK. Also bumped into them while having lunch at a delicious vegetarian cafĂ© where I had Dahl – lovely curry with basmati rice and yogurt. Not super fancy but enjoyable nonetheless!

On the way back from the railroad I enjoyed a wonderful ice cream cone of Berry Berry Mud from the local creamery and then watched as Canada just barely lost to the Swedes in the Women’s curling final.

Following a nice chat again over dinner and a good read of a book it was off to bed… for tomorrow was another day and another destination!

Cheers,
Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment