Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 172 and 173

And it was back on the bus again. Simple, effective run this time – Wellington to Wanganui with a stop in Palmerston North (which has a dump named after John Cleese there) for a lunch break.

Apart from the wonderful reception that I received at the B&B – Pam, the owner picked me up from the bus stop! – my first time in Wanganui was very low key. So let’s fast forward to the next day, shall we?

Waking up on 173 it was nice to have a great breakfast to start. Pam does cook a mean breakfast… and after scrambled eggs, toast, cereal and juice, I was ready to go. I started the day by walking into town – a brisk 20 minute walk, but very peaceful.

After doing some emailing at the information centre, I hopped on Australiasia’s only remaining paddle steamer – the Waimarie (wy-mahr-ee-aa). It was a wonderful little journey up river and back, filled with commentary and the odd temptation to pull a Titanic and sing My Heart Will Go
On from the front deck.




Two things missing: Kate and Celine Dion. Apart from that a great time was had!



I grabbed a nice little sandwich and headed up to the Whanganui Regional Museum for some more exploring. A friend of mine from the Strasbourg exchange, Jen, had given me the contact for a friend of hers, Trish. I met up with Trish and it was like I had known her all my life. Very friendly and was kind enough to invite me to dinner that evening!
The museum itself was quite gorgeous. I caught myself sitting in the recreation of the school room and found myself recalling things from Upper Canada Village!

I met Trish back at the museum at 5 and she took me over to her house where I met her husband, Adrian, and her gorgeous eight-month-old daughter, Evie. We had a great barbecue on their lovely deck and it was a great way to finish the day… I got back to the B&B and was quite done!

Cheers,
Vick

No comments:

Post a Comment