Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 174 and 175 - Wanganui, then to Rotorua

It was a gorgeous Saturday morning at 9 am when I arrived at the Farmer’s Market in downtown Wanaganui. So many things to see, so many things to buy. I resisted temptation and avoided most of the food but couldn’t resist a lovely muffin from one of the stands featuring fresh products.

It was off to the information centre again to get a hold of some phone cards… you have to get one phone card to be able to access local numbers, so that you can then get at your long distance card! Very bizarre.

Next stop was the post office. I found some things of interest for a friend of mine. Now since this person might be reading this blog, I won’t be revealing it but rest assured I think they’ll enjoy it.
Right across from the post office there was a charity fundraiser for a local U21 touch rugby team. They were going to the championships in a fortnight so I happily bought a sausage to help support.

I decided to wander over to the art gallery. I was never a big fan of art galleries when I was younger, but have now started to enjoy them. This was very abstract – especially the figures made out of glass were particularly enjoyable, having visited the glass blowing factory earlier in the day. It’s amazing what artists can do!

I then started to wander… and ended up climbing the stairs below the tower. Trish had taken me there the day before and the view was just gorgeous.

I kept wandering and before I knew it I ended up at Trish and Adrian’s place! Before dinner was ready I was able to have some serious bonding time with Evie… man that girl can MOVE! She’s going to be on the Olympic Skeleton team or something. She’s a fun little baby… and very happy to tolerate my singing!




Soon after Dawn and Bill arrived, and then Pat (who works at the museum with Trish). We had a grand old time at dinner, laughing at almost everything.

And after a couple of glasses of wine, everything got a bit more funnier! I was challenged to eat both vegemite and marmite, with interesting results:

I needed to wash it down with the toblerone!
Day 175 and it was again time to hit the bus. A little more treacherous this time – Wanganui to Bulls was fine, but Bulls to Taupo – well it was scenic and nuts at the same time.

We actually passed through the “desert road” which is one of the more interesting passes I’ve been through. Still though, it was enjoyable with the tour highlights that were given by the bus driver (really, why doesn’t this happen back home!) and I threw on a Vinyl Café podcast which was entertaining to say the least as well.
Arriving in Rotorua around 5 pm after the journey from Taupo, I found my backpackers quickly. Now, this was the kind of backpackers for me. Frankly, if it wasn’t for the kitchen I would have thought it to be a normal hotel. It’s called the Flashpackers and with good reason – it is flashy. If only all the backpackers could be like this!

Following a run to the Pak ‘n Save (the cost of not having to buy additional letters is passed on to you!) I heard a familiar sound. Indeed, it was five Nova Scotians! Turns out that they were all from Antigonish and the area.

I was going to have dinner but I thought nah… I want to watch a bit of telly… hey, Amazing Race is on! Granted it was season fourteen – two seasons behind, but still, it was enjoyable, as they featured paragliding.
And tomorrow, it would be time to complete an Amazing Race roadblock from years ago…
Cheers,
Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment