Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 166

After starting with a relaxing morning, Chris, Bozena and I headed down to the bus station so that I could catch my lift. It was hard leaving… what a wonderful experience my first visit to Dunedin had been!

Notice I say first as it won’t be the last. Chris, you’ve been warned.

We did one last quick thing… a visit to the botanical garden to feed the ducks. I had never picked up a duck before; it didn’t quack and it didn’t do its washroom duties on my hand, so that was a start.


The bus ride was quite scenic, albeit quite twisty turny. I did fall asleep for awhile but was awakened by the bus driver giving a summary of the ride. We stopped in Roxburgh for a coffee break; I grabbed a famous Jimmy’s bacon and egg pie to hit the munchies.



Note to self. When the driver says this is a good time to use the washroom, you probably should take his advice. I turned around after we got back on the bus – turns out there’s no washroom. Seven P’s of life there.


Arriving in Queenstown it struck me what it resembled: Banff. It’s very much the same vibe although Qtown has a few more adventure sports (although I’ll probably be corrected at some point!). Took a shuttle to Butterfli lodge and quite enjoyed the running commentary.


I could see right away that this place was a good pick. I walked in, someone asked me who I was and I was checked in right away!

I got chatting to a few ladies in the main social room, and they said that there were going out to grab some dinner if I wanted to come… sure, of course!


We headed down to the famous Fergberger. Now you’ve got to understand I don’t usually eat burgers when I go out, mostly because I love A&W after dives and that’s about it. But Fergberger is somewhat of an exception. For about $7.50 CDN, you get a massive size burger. Frankly, there’s no need for fries (even though they serve them) because you’re pretty much meatified once done. And for the veggies out there… I’m sure they have some option but I can’t recall!
On the back of the key fob there was a 2for1 special at a local pub. I wasn’t 100% really up for a beer… but I was enjoying the company quite hardily so I went along happily! It was great just shooting the breeze with Liz and Hannah from Melbourne and Annabelle from Munster (Germany).


All in all… a great first day in Qtown… with more fun to come!

Cheers,

Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment