Thursday, February 4, 2010

Days 151-158: Officially on the road again!

Day 151 started off by getting some unfinished business from 150 taken care of. I got a call back from TV5 – turns out they had SKIPPED MY EPISODES. What? Turns out that they were trying to get back in sync with the France 3 airings (they had been about a month behind, now they’re much closer – maybe a week out, tops). After chatting for awhile, kindly she said that she would send me copies due to the skippage. Which was pretty nice of them actually, as I realize that does take her time. So thumbs up, way up, TV5.

Day 152 and it was still more of the same running around. It was slowly sinking in that I was leaving… very soon. Dropped by the currency exchange booth at the mall before heading up to Barrie to stay the night in antici (pause) pation for the next day’s activities.

It was an early start to Day 153 as it was all day first aid training with the dive club. It’s pretty intensive at times but with humour to lighten the seriousness and real-life situations in hand it made it go by quickly.

Day 154 and it was off to run around (re: walk) to get things done. I look forward to owning a vehicle again! In any case it was good exercise topped off with a long chat with my friend Kari from my Tintamarre days.

I was also lucky to get a hold of the Deal or No Deal episodes that I saw taped back in October in Bristol. It was so wonderful to see them again, and to spot myself a few times in the audience – particularly in Tracey’s and Mo’s games. Evidence!



please note all Deal or No Deal images remain copyright of Cheetah Television and Channel Four - no challenge to any ownership implied - I'm just spreading the love of my time in the dream factory!

Day 155 and everything was creeping closer… and it was about time to pack. Sort of, at least. I figured the best thing was to put out everything that I wanted to pack, leave it for a day, figure out what I really needed, didn’t need and what I’d forgotten to pack and then firm it up on the next day.

I also got to go out for a nice lunch at the local eatery and as I ate a wee bit too much I thought it would be good to head out for a walk to get my haircut. Save for the fact that there was a massive lineup and I would have to come back later (read: the next day) it was GREAT!
I arrived home and started putting a gift together for a friend. It took four hours but I’m very proud of of the “homemade” present that I was able to deliver.

While I was doing that Hans and Helga shouted that the mail had arrived. I walked up, expecting nothing and blammo, what do we have here? It’s my Des Chiffres et Des Lettres episodes! We sat down and watched a couple of clips…


Here’s me being asked if I use the word “picossé”. I said I had never heard of it, to which the host quipped “That’s great! You came all the way from Canada to learn a Canadian word!”.


As I had mentioned before on the blog, in between the first and second shows I was talking to the host and the judges , which lead to me being interviewed at the top of the second show. Proof!

Day 156 and it was now or never time. I headed over to work to meet up with a couple of people and then finally got over to the hairdresser’s to get my mop top lopped off. Say that five times fast.

I got home at about 1.30 pm and after lunch (and catching up one some overdue episodes of Glee) I was in a bit of a funk. I started to realize what was going to happen in a couple of days. I was going away… but to a good place. I put on some musical theatre (thanks, Die Hexen von Oz) and pushed those concerns away. I got everything packed and ready to go for the next day.

My friend Jan came at about 6 pm to pick me up and we went out for dinner at Chalet Suisse. It was great to catch up and hear about all the goings on. After running a few errands (and another futile search for maple butter) she dropped me back home. Flipped on 22 Minutes; another stellar episode. It’s the one show that makes me totally guffaw when watching it. That Jay Leno bit especially was dead on the money.

And at 8.22 pm Eastern from my friends at CBC Halifax, the following popped on screen:



I had made my debut as a part of The Kids in The Hall! I was now part of Canadian comedy lore!

I think I made it to about 10 pm and then gave up. Time to hit the hay.

Yesterday, day 157, and it was time to head out. Got a few last minute things done (and the discovery of some discrepancy of travel arrangements). Stopped at another health food store (maple butter? Strike two). Stopped at Chapters to grab a book of puzzles. Got dropped at the bus stop.

I exit the terminal to get in line and I hear “so, how was your dive?”. This throws me. How do I know this woman? “Barrie, remember?”. Of course! I ended up getting the same driver as I had on new year’s day. It was nice to chat and just shoot the breeze.

Switched at York U and then got dropped off at Square One mall. Kelly Kelly Kelly was along shortly after the drop to pick me up and head to her swim practice. Once we got to the pool I got to sit in the “observation deck”. This was totally foreign to me; you want me to SIT by the pool? It was really bizarre but I made it through, mostly because I got to chat with Kelly’s co-coach, who is a French teacher and Reach for the top coach by trade. We swapped war stories.

Kelly’s mom met us at a gorgeous Thai restaurant where we enjoyed a delicious dinner. Kelly and I then returned to her house to just relax. Which I did after getting my hotel straightened out from LA (shuttle issues). By 10 pm I was once again out like a light, it was time to get some zzzzzzzzzzzz before the early wakeup.

I got up at 5 on day 158. I’d like to say that there was fun in fives, or five makes you feel alive, something like that. But the fact is that it’s REALLY EARLY. Super early in fact. We were out the door at 5.30 am on the road, and after a quick stop at Timmie’s, it was time to get in line.
I won’t mention the airline that I took although I will state that they weren’t being extremely helpful in line. You have to get your own boarding card printed out… which requires you to have passport, flight number and the location you’re staying at. I helped two different passengers… time to staff more helpers, (*mumbles airline name*)!

As I was flying into the US, it’s a bit more work these days. One – get boarding card. Two – check in with staff. Three – wait for your call time for the customs line. Four, go through customs where some lady yelled to somewhere near me “DON’T EVEN LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT. I’LL THROW YOU OUT”. I wish I’d have known her name, I’d have had her reported. Five – still lugging your luggage, drop it off on the conveyor belt (wheeled suitcases turned up please and thank you!). Six – clear security. Seven – realize what has all just happened and regroup.

So I get in the plane shortly before 9 am. I look up and my goodness, it’s getting scary. Two cast members who were formerly main players on Degrassi: The Next Generation are on my plane. Currently one is sitting diagonally behind me two rows. While I have not talked to either of them yet (although you can bet your sweep bippy that I want to) it has occurred to me that she was in Dog Sees God that I saw in March of this past year. Maybe that’s an angle…

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!
Cheers,
Vick.

AND NOW, THE EXCITING CONCLUSION.
So the fun started near the end of the flight. We were delayed as the bridge wasn’t ready. I saw my chance and turned around to say hello to the one of the two that was near me, asking if indeed she was in Dog Sees God back in Toronto (which I saw in March and was EXCELLENT). We chatted briefly.

Later I’m at the baggage claim. I see my dive bag come down the chute. Excellent. Then my clothes backpack pops out. Perfect. I’m on the opposite side of the rotation, so I just have to watch in the meantime to pick them both up.

But there’s a problem.

My clothes pack – which popped out SECOND is now first. Umm, that’s not good. How have I missed it?

I wait a few more rotations and see it. Ah! This is good. I pick it up. There’s a heavy/lourd sticker on it.

It clicks in. It’s not mine.

Oh dear.

It turns out someone has the same exact bag as me (and having never seen said bag in stores, I find that mind boggling). I let it go back on the rotation.

In the meantime, I figure “well, considering the day I’m having, we might as well go for it”.
I approach Paula (who I talked to before) and Lauren. Slightly sheepishly, I confirm that yes they are indeed two of the cast members from Degrassi: The Next Generation. I explain that I have students that watch the show and ask politely if I might be able to get a picture to show to my students. They are more than happy to oblige!



I have to say, all things considered, this is an EPIC WIN.

I then go immediately and flag down the baggage attendant. Apparently this happens all the time.

I just have to laugh. That’s the best way to deal with it. I go and grab a nutrigrain bar at the snack shop – it was now getting to the point where it was later in the day (ie. supper back east) and I hadn’t even had lunch yet (don’t get me started about paying 7$ for a sandwich on the plane). I have a nice chat with one of the baggage attendants and she is quite helpful in arranging for my later shuttle.

And soon enough my bag turns up again! I find it ever so hilarious that it turns out that a LAPD officer took it… isn’t that against the law???

After some confusion I finally get my shuttle to the Econo Lodge, where I now sit. Sadly there seems to be some problem with the internet – I have a serious issue with you advertising wireless and then not being able to deliver as I am not able to get it in my room. It’s not that it’s do or die; rather, I’d like to update this blog!

We’ll see, however. I think I might go get some pizza for the evening meal. Depends if I can get a slice or two.

Wheel of Fortune taping tomorrow!

Cheers again,
Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment