Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Days XL, XLI and XLII

One of the nice things about being away for the weekend is that you can just sloooooow dooooooooowwwwwn and take it easy. The hotel we stayed in had an indoor pool and jacuzzi so that helped things! The continental breakfast that morning was BUSY however because there was a convention of "Les Filles d'Isabelle" (which, I'm told, is the feminine equivalent of the Knights of Columbus) so we were jostling for everything cerealesque. They also had a toaster with a digital timer. I suppose a watched pot never boils, but this is ridiculous!


We went to the downtown mall and the first thing I saw was this sign. The "Jelly Jump" in its heyday was at another mall (which now is "box stores" only) and was held around halloween every year. 25-30 people were picked to jump into a humungous (sp?) six foot deep pool that was filled with green jello. And not just one big bowl - we're talking lots of little You Can't do that on Television-esque pieces of green jello. And back in Grade seven, much to my surprise, I was pulled out of the random draw to be a part of it. It was quite the experience - to cut to the chase I ended up getting in 29th out of 30 people, wouldn't stick my head under, took six minutes to find a hockey puck, and won $150 in mall gift certificates (which I used to buy a phone and an electronic chess machine with). The lasting impression is that I'm pretty much traumatized by jello and can rarely eat it. In any case, I went to customer service and told the lady I had been in the event many moons ago and she really enjoyed hearing my story. Sadly, this year, the pool is only 2 feet deep! Sigh.

ANYWAY where were we? I got a ride out to see my old drama teacher C and his wife. It's always nice to catch up with them and they are some of my best friends.

Ironically, I have several of these pictures in the same place over the years. I don't know why but it's nice to see the progression! I think I will be able to get C to try out for Countdown, he was quite impressed!

Saturday night me and the rents went out for "thanksgiving dinner" - traditional schnitzel! It was tasty as heck. Plus the Kronenbourg helped things go down easy...

Sunday we all went to our old church in Cornwall and it was great to catch up with a bunch of old friends. My train ride and GO bus totalled about 6 hours... I was pretty knackered when I finally got home (in time for Amazing Race, obviously).

Yesterday I sent H&H off for their vacation in Florida. I look forward to hearing their stories when they get back! I flip-flopped on a couple of options of what to do and in the end I ended up heading up North for Thanksgiving Dinner. My friend and his wife are always nice enough to open their home for Thanksgiving... and it wasn't just me - there was his parents, her parents, her sister and her family, their sons, their older son's girlfriend and her mom, and probably about 8 others of us from the dive club. NINETEEN people all told!!! It was nuts but it was a wonderful spread of food, let me tell you.

And to those of you who celebrated yesterday, HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Cheers,

Vick.

PS - For those of you who made it this far... and by special request... enjoy the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKztA_ACaL4

I'd embed it, but it's not allowed. This is the first part, and just check the sidebar for the additional parts. I don't know if I should be honoured or scared that combined I've gotten over 50,000 hits in less than a year since this got posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment