Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Days XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII, XLIX, L

Ok so I've been a bit deliquent in my postings but for the last week it's been AHHHHH I'M GOING ON A PLANE ON WEDNESDAY AND I'M NOT EVEN READY AHHHHHH kind of mode.

Day XLVI I said goodbye to the car. It's been a good run. 207,500 km (although the first 96,000 weren't driven by me) and it got donated to a good cause. So I'm pleased... although what's the first thing I did? Got me a rental car. Got a weekend special... was supposed to get a Suzuki Swift (or as I would call it a "box on wheels" because I would barely fit in the driver side) but instead got a free upgrade to a Mazda 3! So the drive to and from my friend's house for her birthday party that night was slightly better.

Day XLVII I headed up north in the shiny new (ok, fine it's a rental with 5500k's on it, but still) car and volunteered at my friend's farm. It's a real fun time - I just helped people off and on the wagon ride for a few hours and that's my kind of thing. Those of you who know me (which is probably most) know that I'm a people person and it was nice chatting with the visitors.

The day was even more exciting because I got to go for a dive. We had a nice dive Saturday afternoon and I didn't even have to hold the float and flag (which I do most times). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't dive without it but I enjoyed the freedom of having someone else do it! Such great viz in the water as well. Later on we headed back to my friend's house for pizza and... um... root beer? Yeah, let's go with that.

Day XLVIII was another catch up day. A good chunk of it was spent running around doing errands town... and getting "Canadiana" gifts for friends in Europe. Which included razor cartridges and Advil. You know who you are!

The evening brought Amazing Race... and saying goodbye for a while to some good friends. Not before going out for nachos and... um... root beer? Sure.

Day XLIX I got a call about 9 am... it was Endemol Germany! I now officially have tickets for Wer Wird Millionar?, the German version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire! So if you're playing along folks, I now am seeing 6 game show tapings in the next little while before the new year! Not bad.

After all of that excitement I headed back up north. My friend helped me pack my dive gear and then we marked some tests... and I said goodbye for awhile again. This I find is the hard part! I am a bit nervous about being away from my friends in the dive club... because it is such a great group. BUT! Adventure awaits.

I dropped the car off at the rental agency and then got a ride back (SHAMELESS PLUG: I get no money for saying this but I really really like the service at Enterprise. Plus their "we'll pick you up/we'll drop you off" is brilliant and I can't quite understand why others don't do it). Monday is ultimate frisbee night in the fall, so I went out, walked to the field, actually made some decent plays (including an awesome huck near the end of the of the game, natch), and then went and hung out with some of the players for chips and... um... root beer? Third time's the charm.

Day L, today, was filled with a lot of "check, check" moments. Laundry is done. Floors are cleaned. Documents are printed out. Flight is confirmed (and my luggage situation averted). Luggage is packed. The special projects I'm working on (which, if and when they get to the "go" stage, you'll hear about it) are completed as far as I can tell at this point. The only thing that is annoying me is the fact that I haven't got my Season Five Mole soundtrack yet. I ordered it three weeks ago. Dear mail system, can I please have it and my staycation prize? Thanks much, The Vick.

So it was a bit relaxing when I got picked up around 5 pm to head out for eats with my good friend from work... we went out for pad thai, it was AWESOME! I have driven by this restaurant hundreds of time but never stopped until now. I'll be going back frequently!

And this night wrapped up with some good, old school, $100,000 Pyramid game playing. It made me flash back to one of my OUPIR visits where in an absolutely stupid moment I said "A rotary club!" for "Things that rotate"... which is a no-no! I pride myself on being quite the pyramid player... not that night!

So there we are dear readers. It's 9.30 pm on day L. Fifty days in and I'm really having the time of my life. And the next fifty days will take me on quite the ride... and it is almost fifty days. I fly back on day 99 - IC. I see myself having a great time.

Cheers,
Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment